Oracle updates Oracle Cloud Infrastructure services
27 Oct 2015 San Francisco - During his keynote at Oracle OpenWorld, Oracle President Thomas Kurian announced a major update to Oracle Cloud Infrastructure services, providing organisations with a comprehensive set of elastic Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) offerings including elastic compute and storage to run any enterprise application in the Cloud. The new Oracle IaaS services include: Oracle Compute Cloud, Oracle Storage Cloud - Archive and File Storage, Oracle Network Cloud, and Oracle Container Cloud. Making it even easier for customers to quickly deploy new applications in the Oracle Cloud, Oracle is also expanding the Oracle Cloud Marketplace to include partner certified machine images of pre-configured applications and software.
"Organisations want flexible, proven, and secure infrastructure to run their enterprise workloads in the Cloud", stated Thomas Kurian, president of product development, Oracle. "Oracle's infrastructure services already power the Oracle Cloud Platform and Oracle SaaS businesses and some of the world's most recognizable organisations. With this major update, Oracle is now making this same set of foundational Oracle Cloud infrastructure services - Compute, Storage and Network - available to its customers and partners."
The Oracle Cloud continues to show strong adoption, supporting 70+ million users and more than 34 billion transactions each day. It runs on more than 50,000 devices and more than 800 petabytes of storage in 19 data centres around the world.
Oracle announced five new Oracle Cloud Infrastructure offerings, including:
- Oracle Elastic Compute Cloud that provides customers with two choices: Elastic Compute and Dedicated Compute. Elastic Compute enables customers to leverage elastic compute capabilities to run any workload in the Cloud in a shared compute zone. The Dedicated Compute offering also offers customers elasticity but with added capability such CPU pinning and complete network isolation provides predictable, consistent performance with no noisy neighbours. The Compute Cloud is secure, enterprise-grade, fully configurable and provides robust monitoring capabilities. It supports a variety of different operating systems including Linux and Windows.
- Oracle Storage Cloud Service - Archive Storage: Provides storage for applications and workloads that require long-term retention at the lowest price in the industry, with predictable SLAs for data retrieval. As a "deep Cloud" archive, Archive Storage is suited for infrequently accessed large-scale data sets, such as corporate records, scientific archives, cultural preservation content, and digital film masters.
- Oracle Storage Cloud Service - File Storage: Provides file-based NFS v4 network protocol access to both Object Storage and Archive Storage tiers in Oracle Storage Cloud Service. The on-premises software appliance acts as a storage gateway from the customers' data centre to the Cloud and the optimized machine image enables cloud-based virtual machine instances to operate on shared data sets. The extensibility of the File Storage offering allows for easy integration with other Oracle and third-party storage appliances.
- Oracle Network Cloud: Provides multiple connectivity options like VPN, Oracle Cloud Connect and network bonding to customers to meet their diverse application needs following a software defined network configuration approach. It provides highly secure and high performance connectivity from customer data centres to the Cloud.
- Oracle Container Cloud: Provides customers the ability to run applications within Docker containers, which can be easily deployed within the Oracle Compute Cloud. This will enable customers to further automate the deployment of applications using popular technologies like Mesos and Kubernetes.
- Pre-Certified Technology and Applications Stacks: Oracle and a broad range of partners have certified a number of technology stacks on the Oracle Cloud including a large number of open source technologies, Oracle Technology, and Oracle Applications, including Oracle E-Business Suite, Oracle's PeopleSoft, and Oracle's JD Edwards. These certified stacks are available in a standard service catalog to simplify deployment.