Oracle extends Oracle Communications Billing and Revenue Management product family with innovative Oracle Communications Elastic Charging Engine
1 Oct 2012 San Francisco -
Oracle has made available the Oracle Communications Elastic Charging Engine, a 100 percent real-time rating and balance management engine designed using patent-pending technology to process high-volume, next-generation communications services with unprecedented performance and efficiency.
Oracle Communications Elastic Charging Engine can process more than three billion events per hour on a single Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud system. At this level of performance, the Oracle Communications Elastic Charging Engine is capable of rating and charging every phone call made in the world each day in real-time.
Skyrocketing data usage, smartphone and tablet proliferation, and consumers' increasing demand for choice and control, are forcing communications service providers (CSPs) to evaluate their current rating and charging capabilities for voice, data, Cloud and machine-to-machine services. Thus, CSPs must consider factors including system performance and scalability, efficiency and business flexibility.
Oracle Communications Elastic Charging Engine is built on Oracle Coherence - an in-memory data Grid solution enabling distributed computation, parallel transactions, and event processing. Oracle's solution enables CSPs to dynamically scale charging capacity by distributing processing and data across multiple processors for very high-volume and complex communications services.
The solution provides:
- Extreme Performance and Scale: Oracle Communications Elastic Charging Engine exhibits high performance with low latency and provides virtually unlimited scale.
- Processes all rating events rapidly by co-locating data and processing logic within cluster nodes; if one node goes down, the data already exists in back-up in another
- Provides automatic high availability through the low level replication of data and process. In a separate performance test using a database of 400 million subscribers, Oracle Communications Elastic Charging Engine processed 500,000 events per second with an average latency of only three milliseconds
- Enables CSPs to accommodate peak demand (e.g., high call volumes on New Year's Eve) by quickly expanding capacity without service interruption and retracting capacity when demand spikes subside
- Has been tested, benchmarked and certified to run on Oracle Exalogic Elastic Cloud
- Engineered for Efficiency: Oracle Communications Elastic Charging Engine drives simplicity in a complex communications industry.
- Can install in less than ten minutes and is built to run on hardware from commodity hardware to blade servers
- Allows CSPs to perform zero-downtime upgrades
- Extends the Oracle Communications Billing and Revenue Management solution with innovative new charging capabilities
- Integrates with existing applications through open, standards-based interfaces and is pre-integrated with Oracle Communications Pricing Design Center to further streamline product and service introduction
- Enables centralized management through a single management console with Oracle Enterprise Manager
- Real-time to Market and Differentiated Customer Experience: Oracle Communications Elastic Charging Engine transforms how communications industry innovation is delivered and monetized and supports a unique customer experience.
- Enables service providers to process rating and charging functions in real-time, supporting unprecedented flexibility in the design and delivery of innovative services and offers
- Provides patent-pending "advice of promotion" technology, which allows CSPs to alert customers to relevant offers in real-time, based on their profile and current usage pattern
"With the mobile market growing rapidly and moving away from 'all-you-can-eat' pricing plans, communications service providers must invest in operational capabilities to better position themselves to deliver a personalized user experience and monetize new service offerings. As a result, features such as high availability, scalability and flexible rating rules are becoming must-haves in the real-time charging market to support CSPs' new business models", stated Shira Levine, directing analyst for next gen OSS and policy, Infonetics Research.
"This next evolution of the Oracle family of rating and charging solutions is an exciting step forward for communications service providers. It enables both large and small operators to scale their billing systems to support next-generation communications services, including data-intensive and machine-to-machine transactions. The 100 percent on-line rating and balance management solution provides CSPs with the extreme performance they require to meet consumer demands", stated Bhaskar Gorti, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Communications.