Oracle launches next generation SPARC T4 servers
26 Sep 2011 Redwood Shores -
Oracle has introduced its new SPARC T4 server line.
Oracle's end-to-end SPARC T4-4-based solution is 2.4x faster than an all-IBM solution, setting a world record in enterprise Java application environments, and has a 20 percent performance advantage per socket across the entire configuration.
Oracle's SPARC T4 servers deliver outstanding performance against IBM POWER7 and HP Itanium-based systems. In data warehousing, Oracle's SPARC T4-4 server delivered over 2.4x better performance per socket than the IBM Power 780 with 33 percent better price/performance. Compared to the HP Superdome 2 with 16 Itanium processors, Oracle delivered 5.7x more performance per socket and 2.6x better price/performance.
Oracle's SPARC T4 servers are engineered to provide both Oracle and third-party applications with high performance, security, availability and scalability, and are the foundation for Oracle's SPARC SuperCluster T4-4.
Key features in Oracle's SPARC T4 servers include:
- Built-in Virtualization with Live Migration: With both Oracle VM for SPARC and Solaris Zones, Oracle's SPARC T4 servers provide the industry's most robust framework for virtualizing both instances of Oracle Solaris, as well as lightweight virtualization for applications. The servers provision in seconds, and now come with live, secure migration.
- On-chip Cryptographic Acceleration: New crypto units support over a dozen industry standard ciphers, enabling security conscious organizations in industries including telecommunications, health care, financial services and the public sector to keep their data safe with up to 44 percent faster secure queries than the latest generation of x86 systems when encrypted with Oracle's Advanced Security Products, 3x faster Oracle Solaris ZFS file system encryption than the latest generation of x86 systems, and 4x faster
single-thread OpenSSL security than IBM POWER7.
- Dynamic Threads: The SPARC T4 processor includes automatic continuous adjustment of core resources to balance between per thread and many thread workloads. Integrated with Oracle Database 11g, Oracle WebLogic Server 11g, and Java, the SPARC T4 processor presents no performance compromise against any customer workload, in real time.
Oracle also announced new versions of three SPARC T4 server-based Oracle Optimized Solutions, which demonstrate the superior performance and value of Oracle's fully integrated, pre-tested solutions:
- Oracle Optimized Solution for Oracle Database: 2.5x faster data warehousing, 20 percent faster OLTP than IBM POWER7
- Oracle Optimized Solution for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne: 3x faster at less than half the cost of IBM POWER7
- Oracle Optimized Solution for Oracle WebLogic Suite: up to 44 percent lower TCO than IBM WebSphere with 20 percent better performance per CPU than IBM POWER7
"Oracle's SPARC T4 servers offer the high performance and flexible application support required by next generation data centres", stated John Fowler, executive vice president, Systems, Oracle. "Our customers are seeing up to 5x performance improvements across a wide range of Oracle and third-party applications and have already started placing orders to replace outdated systems from our competitors."