PRACE-3IP PCP project to launch execution phase 1 of whole-system design for energy efficient HPC
23 Sep 2014 Brussels -
Within the PRACE 3rd Implementation Project (PRACE-3IP) PRACE started the process for a Pre-Commercial Procurement (PCP) on Whole-System Design for Energy Efficient HPC. On 9 September 2014, the signing of contracts with 4 bidders launched the 1st Execution Phase of this PCP.
The process of this PCP is organised in two stages:
- Tendering stage aimed to assess the eligibility of the bidders and their offers
- Execution stage during which the selected bidders are performing the R&D services described in their offers, which in turn consists of three phases:
- Phase I: solution design; duration 6 months
- Phase II: prototype development; duration 10 months
- Phase III: pre-commercial small scale product development; duration 16 months
This Pre-Commercial Procurement (PCP), the first one in the field of HPC in Europe, is a multi-country and multi-partner joint effort, implemented by a consortium composed of several partners of PRACE, including CINECA, Italy as Procuring Entity with CSC, Finland; EPCC, UK; JSC, Germany; and GENCI, France. PRACE aisbl is involved as an advisory body in a Pre-Commercial Procurement (PCP) pilot executed in the context of PRACE's 3rd Implementation Project (PRACE-3IP).
Four bidders have signed the Framework Contract and Phase I Contract:
- Bull SAS
- E4 Computer Engineering SpA
- MEGWARE Computer Vertrieb Services GmbH
- Maxeler Technologies Limited
Following this agreement, the selected bidders will perform the first phase of the Pre-Commercial Procurement process, which is expected to end in March 2015.
More information about the tender process is available at www.prace-ri.eu/PCP-Whole-System