Gidel is providing solutions based on an FPGA board and doing the IP, the algorithms, as well as the board itself. The hardware is based on an Arria 10 FPGA by Intel or some other capabilities depending on the specific requirements based on the HPC market with a different FPGA. Of course, the interfaces depend on the customer's requirements.
Gidel is also providing a unique solution based on a specific algorithm. This can be Gidel's design, the customer's design or any cooperation between the customer and Gidel. Gidel can support the customer all the way and provide nice and effective tools for the development process, based on the company's knowledge for the last 25 years.
This product allows the customer to use Gidel's solution more efficiently and to have a very short time from the idea up to the final implementation as a product from the customer's side.
Primeur Magazine:Can you tell a little bit more about the type of customers that you have?
Ofer Pravda:Gidel is supporting customers with different kind of markets. The company started in the vision market. The first customers from the last 25 years are still Gidel's customers for all these years. The company has also customers for one of the server first deal companies and is providing to them an end-to-end solution, as well as companies that are based in the HPC market.
The latest capability to be announced is Gidel's option of lossless compression, as well as capabilities of encryption in the FPGA in one point of contact. This means that the customer can have the ability to have compression as well as encryption in his premises or his part of the Cloud, or his part of the data centre.
Primeur Magazine:What is the typical configuration that people use these boards in, in HPC?
Ofer Pravda:The typical configuration can be changed per customer. For example, if you are using a standalone unit at one site of the customer and also adding at the other site the connection to his Cloud with servers, Gidel can create a point-to-point connection very efficiently. One of the applications is to have point-to-point connection with various high speed servers and also have encryption to the other site of course. The company can help make part of the solution some kind of specific algorithm, for example doing some kind of inspection of the capability of the data centre and data centre performance.
Primeur Magazine:Do you have any new announcements on the show?
Ofer Pravda:Yes, the latest announcement Gidel has on the show is to have the ability of lossless compression. It is actually comparing bit-per-bit compression of what was the original information and compress that information. It must be fully accurate on the one hand and on the other hand it is a matter of how much silicon it takes. The power consumption is very unique. We are talking about one watt of power consumption and the company is using only 1% of the FPGA. This means that you have enough space, either to have faster encryption or faster compression on one hand. On the other hand, you can have more space for your own specific algorithm in the same board on the server or in the Cloud.
Primeur Magazine:So, you use 1% of the FPGA but the other 99 percent can be used for something different?
Ofer Pravda:Yes, either for the application or the algorithm. If you want higher bandwidth, you can use more silicon.
Primeur Magazine:Currently, most of the FPGAs that are around, are only useful for hardware developers. Is that also true for your solutions?
Ofer Pravda:That is right. Traditionally, the FPGA was more related purely to hardware engineers and we all know that there are more software engineers than hardware engineers. Therefore, Intel has been moving new capabilities in the market for several years. One of them is OpenCL. This allows the software engineers to work with FPGA. Gidel is supporting this capability of course on its boards. On the other side, there is HLS, a capability developed by Intel again, that helps the hardware engineer to work with FPGA.
By using HLS, OpenCL and other tools in a developer kit, Gidel can show and actually use them in order to get much better performance and much shorter time from an initial idea to its implementation. This gives some advantage in the market with this developer tool. Gidel developed FPGA compression, using the HLS tool to create a very short time for the algorithm ideas and map them to specific customers' use of the algorithm.
Primeur Magazine:Thank you very much for this interview.