Micron broadens storage portfolio for customers with new SAS solid state drive family for data-intensive applications
4 Aug 2015 Boise - Micron Technology Inc. has introduced a new portfolio of SAS solid state drives (SSDs) that are workload-optimized for customers demanding continuous availability of their enterprise applications, such as data analytics, financial transactions and media streaming. The new Micron S600DC SSD series offer IT managers a compelling solution by incorporating a better overall package of customer benefits than previous drive offerings, including consistent performance, industry-leading storage capacity, and superior data availability and security. The SSD series is the first product family developed as part of Micron's strategic agreement with Seagate earlier this year. It combines flash innovation and SAS expertise from both companies.
Flash technology is driving significant growth in SAS markets. Micron projects a 59 percent growth rate for SAS SSDs over the next four years. SSD adoption is gaining quickly in business-critical, data-intensive applications, such as credit card transactions and health records processing, which place significant emphasis on data availability and reliability. The S600DC series, which includes the S610DC, S630DC and S650DC, delivers the performance benefits of Micron's trusted flash storage technology while still providing the enterprise-hardened reliability, capacity, and encryption demanded by today's storage architects.
"These new SAS drives fill a critical position in our enterprise SSD portfolio, expanding storage solutions that cross applications, workloads and interfaces", stated Darren Thomas, vice president of storage at Micron. "These offerings extend our leadership as an end-to-end enterprise flash storage provider, from technology all the way to our workload-optimized SSDs."
"Our partners and customers depend on flash technologies to meet the challenges of providing fast performance in data analytics, while staying within expenditure limits. The Micron-Seagate partnership created the storage technology necessary in this offering to exceed their expectations", stated Brett Pemble, general manager, flash products division at Seagate Cloud Systems and Electronics Solutions.
The key product features of the S600DC SSD series include:
- Industry-leading storage density with up to 4TB-class capacity in a 2.5-inch form factor
- High performance of the dual-port interface can provide up to 1,800MB/s sequential read performance or high data availability with failover redundancy
- Power loss protection maintains data integrity and prevents the loss of user data in flight in the event of unexpected power interruptions
- Superior data protection and reliability is achieved by combining full internal and external data path protection and multi-layered error recovery technology with advanced error detection/correction encoding optimized for NAND media
- Multiple layers of security including secure diagnostics that help prevent malicious attacks, self-encrypting drive capability secures user data, and FIPS certification to ensure the drive meets stringent security standards
The Micron S600 series SSDs are in initial production and will be sold directly to data centre equipment manufacturers and through Micron's distribution partners.