XtremWeb-HEP 7.5.0 released
18 Jul 2011 Orsay -
Version XWHEP 7.5.0 of XtremWeb-HEP has been released. This version improves security and end user experience. It supports MS Windows XP and 7 and removes Attic protocol support due to some Attic problems.
The following corrections have been applied:
- windows XP and 7 supported
- server: access logs are now stored in HomeDir as found in config file and not in /tmp
- server: a bug corrected in group management
- server: DB access improved
- remove leading and trailing spaces from job command line
- the communication protocol has been improved so that the server always sends an answer, especially on error. The client now displays errors received from the server, if any. The client also sets its return code accordingly.
- the worker-server communication protocol has been corrected so that the worker keeps a chance to upload results, even on server FS error. This feature exists for long (since INRIA XtremWeb 1.6) but was buggy.
- client GUI improved
- a security hole corrected on object removal
- on Mac OS X, the server is now correctly installed and works well. Mac OS X specific stuffs, like StartupItems or LaucnhDaemons are not used, because it does not work. Instead, Linux like scripts are used: xtremweb.server [start | stop | restart | status]. There are two drawbacks: the server does not automatically starts at boot time and the server runs as root under Mac OS X.
- Attic removed until further notification : Attic may crash the worker under certain circumstances
New features include the following:
- client can connect using its certificate and associated private key. The client-server connection is challenged using this key pair. The client certificate must be certified by a CA cert path known by the server.
- client accepts a new - xwout command line option to set the output file name (used with xwresults and xwdownload)
- client can now retrieve applications by their name and users by their login
More information is available at http://www.xtremweb-hep.org/spip.php?article30