HP unveils global open network for Cloud services
10 Jun 2014 Las Vegas -
HP has introduced the HP Helion Network, a global, open network designed to provide customers with an unparalleled portfolio of services and the ability to create a secure hybrid IT environment that addresses local and global requirements. Grounded in HP's leadership in OpenStack-based distributed Cloud computing, the HP Helion Network is expected to provide a unique commercial and operating model for service providers. It is being built to attract a powerful ecosystem of independent software vendors, developers, system integrators and value-added resellers to accelerate innovation and deliver open standardsbased hybrid Cloud services.
The service providers within the HP Helion Network will provide the foundation for the ecosystem of services. It will also build on the strength of the HP CloudAgile Service Provider programme, which has more than 115 service providers worldwide and 1,500 private Cloud deployments. The Helion Network is designed to include companies - such as participants like AT&T, HKT, Intel and Synapsis - who will work with HP to evolve the network.
"Global enterprises grapple with a daunting array of cloud products and services across locations, which creates challenges that include security, data sovereignty, interoperability and quality of service", stated Martin Fink, executive vice president and chief technology officer, HP. "The HP Helion Network leverages HP's expertise gained from running OpenStack technology at scale and our ability to unite service providers and technology partners. Together, we're building a federated ecosystem that enables organisations to deploy services on the right platform at the right time and at the right cost."
The hardware-agnostic HP Helion Network will offer enterprise customers:
- An open, secure and agile hybrid IT environment with no vendor lock-in, which enables workload portability between on- and off-premises environments.
- Access to an expanded enterprise-grade cloud services portfolio that includes horizontal and vertical applications, as well as network-enhanced services such as secure Cloud networking, enabling customers to meet local and multinational hybrid requirements.
- The ability to meet country-specific data regulations regarding data sovereignty, retention and protection.
"Our enterprise customers are looking for a secure Cloud solution for applications that require heightened levels of information protection, allowing them to gain economic, speed and control benefits", stated Andrew Geisse, chief executive officer, AT&T Business Solutions. "We are excited to integrate our patented NetBond technology with HP Helion and look forward to finding ways to further extend these capabilities across The HP Helion Network ecosystem."
The HP Helion Network will better position service providers, HP channel partners and developers to meet the evolving needs of their enterprise customers with the New Style of IT, while capturing a greater share of the rapidly growing Cloud market.
Benefits for partners will include:
- The ability to drive new revenue streams and lower costs by offering differentiated Cloud offerings that harness HP and partner technology and expertise.
- An expanded portfolio of Cloud services, allowing service providers to sell other HP Helion Network service provider vertical and horizontal Cloud solutions.
- Collaborative sales and marketing efforts to enhance market coverage and increase go-to-market efficiencies. This includes access to HP training, collateral and go-to-market support via HP's direct and indirect channel partners, including value-added resellers and distributors.
- Access to flexible payment structures that help align IT investment with revenue.
The HP Helion Network will become part of the HP Helion portfolio of products and services announced last month. New additions to the portfolio include:
- HP Helion OpenStack: A preview version of the commercial edition that is designed to address the needs of global enterprises and service providers. It provides a scale-out, hardened and curated commercial-grade deployment of OpenStack technology with enhancements to simplify installation, provide resiliency and improve manageability. HP Helion OpenStack will be offered under a straightforward pricing model of $1,400 per server for an annual subscription, with multiyear and volume discounts beginning at 50 nodes.
- HP Helion Development Platform: A preview version of the community edition of the integrated Cloud application platform based on CloudFoundry, fully integrated and tested with HP Helion OpenStack. It is designed to enable enterprise developers to rapidly develop, deploy and scale native Cloud applications with world-class developer tools and an open, interoperable platform.
"IT transformation to a cloud infrastructure is an imperative today, and Intel remains committed to working with the industry to accelerate the adoption of Cloud solutions", stated Jonathan Donaldson, general manager, Software Defined Infrastructure Group, Intel. "Intel is pleased to be collaborating with HP on HP Helion OpenStack to advance its enterprise readiness with a focus on availability, security and ease of deployment."
The HP Helion Network is expected to launch a pilot programme in the fourth quarter of 2014. General availability for HP Helion OpenStack and the HP Helion Development Platform is planned for the same time frame.