Univa announces Grid Engine 8.1 to further evolve the popular software
2 May 2012 Markham -
Univa, the Data Center Automation Company, has released Univa Grid Engine Version 8.1, the most widely deployed, distributed resource management software platform used by enterprises and research organisations across the globe. Univa Grid Engine is the industry-leading choice for workload management and integrating Big Data solutions while saving time and money through increased uptime and reduced total cost of ownership. Corporations in the industries of Oil and Energy, Life Sciences and Biology, and Semiconductors rely on Univa Grid Engine when they need mission-critical computing capacity to model and solve complex problems.
Key features include:
- Processor core and NUMA memory binding for jobs which enables applications to run consistently and over 10% faster
- Job Classes describing how applications run in a cluster, slashing the time to onboard and manage work flow
- Resource maps which define how hardware and software resources are ordered and used in the cluster helping to improve throughput and utilization of the cluster
- Improved Job Debugging and Diagnostics allowing administrators discover issues in less time
- New support for Postgres database job spooling that balances speed of submission with reliability in high volume clusters that have lots of small jobs
- Documented and tested integrations with common MPI environments allows for valuable time saved since Univa has done the integration work.
Jeppesen has implemented Univa Grid Engine to support their Crew & Fleet management products for distributing optimization jobs, RAVE compilations and Studio sessions. "Jeppesen has selected Univa Grid Engine as this was the most appealing alternative looking at both cost and Univa's ability to make future enhancements to the product", stated Pete Catherall, Business Operations Manager, Jeppesen. "This is another example of that."
"Companies like Jeppesen rely on the Univa Grid Engine to manage mission-critical applications while also reducing the total cost of ownership", stated Gary Tyreman, president and CEO Univa Corporation. "With the introduction of Univa Grid Engine Version 8.1, our third production release within the last 12 months, Univa has again proven its ability to support the largest sites in the world and to simultaneously deliver significant new products and features. The proof is in our execution for our customers. Univa provides seamless evolution for Grid Engine sites."
Univa Grid Engine is engineered, tested and fully supported by Univa, and has been proven to perform in production environments such as:
- 4 of 5 Top sites by core count
- 4 of 5 Top Enterprise sites
- 2 of the Top Oil & Gas companies
- 4 of the Top 7 Research sites
Version 8.1 will ship in Q2-2012 and will be available shortly for beta testing.