e-Infrastructures for excellent science in Southeast Europe and Eastern Mediterranean to be held in Sofia on 15-16 May, 2018
9 Mar 2018 Sofia - The regional conference on "e-Infrastructures for excellent science in Southeast Europe and Eastern Mediterranean" will be held on 15-16 May 2018 in Grand Hotel Sofia and in Best Western Expo Hotel in Sofia, Bulgaria. The conference will be a unique opportunity for regional scientists to showcase their work in selected research fields relevant for the region, as well as for presenting the latest achievements resulting from the collaboration of countries in the region of Southeast Europe and Eastern Mediterranean in the area of e-Infrastructures and their use. The conference will gather e-Infrastructure providers, scientists and researchers, and the policy makers from the region and beyond.
The conference programme will be divided in two main parts: in the first part an overview of the history, present status and perspectives of the regional e-Infrastructure collaboration will be given, including the analysis of the developments, connection with European programmes and initiatives, regional contribution to the European goals, etc. In the second part, the scientific results in the areas of climatology, life sciences and digital cultural heritage, achieved using the integrated regional e-Infrastructure platform, will be presented.
The programme looks as follows:
Day 1: May 15 afternoon, Grand Hotel Sofia
- Opening by Prof. Ivan Dimov, Deputy Minister for Education and Science, Bulgaria
- Regional e-Infrastructure collaboration: history, status and perspectives - Dr. Ognjen Prnjat, GRNET, Greece
- VI-SEEM digital services for Open Science - Dr. Anastas Misev, UKIM, FYR of Macedonia
- Flagship user community: Digital Cultural Heritage - Dr. George Artopoulos, Cyprus Institute, Cyprus
- e-Infrastructures in Bulgaria: regional perspective - Dr. Aneta Karaivanova, IICT-BAS, Bulgaria
- Panel: Value of regional collaboration for research, education and technological development.
- Ramaz Kvatadze, GRENA, Georgia, on behalf of the Eastern Partnership initiative
- High-level representative of Cyprus
- High-level representative of Serbia
- High-level representative of Montenegro
- High-level representative of FYR of Macedonia
Day 2: May 16, Best Western Expo Hotel
9:00-16:00 - There will be two parallel tracks:
1. Scientific presentations
- Climate community
- Life Sciences community
- Digital Cultural Heritage Community
- Services and tools
2. Related initiatives session
Posters from VI-SEEM applications will be shown.
More information is available at the Vi-SEEM website and at the Conference