KishHealth System chooses HP Converged Storage to speed delivery of medical records
23 Jan 2013 Palo Alto -
KishHealth System, a community health provider, has selected HP Converged Storage to improve patient care by accelerating medical record delivery. DeKalb, Illinois-based KishHealth System provides outpatient services in 13 facilities across Northern Illinois. To speed medical record delivery and eliminate hand-written errors, KishHealth wanted to transition from hard copy to digital records. This required a scalable platform that could support the capacity demands for storing medical images on its Agfa Picture Archiving and Communication System (PACS). KishHealth also sought to increase data centre performance to improve response time of its MEDITECH electronic medical records (EMR) system.
Upgrading its infrastructure with HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage, HP StoreOnce Backup and HP StoreAll Storage has enabled KishHealth to increase performance, capacity utilization and availability for medical records and imaging applications while simplifying IT administration.
"To ensure the highest-quality patient care, KishHealth needed a storage platform capable of maintaining maximum performance while scaling to accommodate our expanding digital medical records and communication requirements", stated Patrick Yonke, senior systems administrator, KishHealth System. "HP Converged Storage meets KishHealth's long-term capacity needs while improving work flow quality and efficiency to ensure our patients don't have to wait for quality care."
HP Converged Storage, a key component of HP Converged Infrastructure, integrates scale-out federated software with standardized hardware platforms that leverage proven HP technology, enabling KishHealth to:
- Accelerate patient medical record routing to more than 250 physicians and 1,300 employees via HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage, which improved KishHealth's MEDITECH EMR system response time 60 percent.
- Increase work flow productivity with HP StoreOnce Backup deduplication combined with HP partner BridgeHead's Integrated Serverless Backup, which improved system performance and application availability by reducing EMR data back-up time from six hours to just minutes.
- Lower data centre total cost of ownership with HP StoreOnce Backup and HP 3PAR Thin Provisioning Software. HP StoreOnce Backup reduced KishHealth's PACS data storage consumption by 92 percent with deduplication capabilities that consolidate data and increase disk storage efficiency on the back-up system. Thin provisioning maximizes capacity utilization, eliminating the health care provider's need to purchase additional hardware as EMR repository requirements increase. Thin provisioning reduced overall storage capacity by 62 percent through the creation of a centralized pool of available storage.
- Improve data center efficiency using the HP 3PAR Management Console, which enables KishHealth to administer and optimize storage systems via a single window, including remote replication to disaster recovery sites, non-disruptive on-line system upgrades and system performance monitoring.
- Increase medical staff productivity though centralized management of HP StoreAll Storage, which speeds image retrieval times by increasing storage capacity and flexibility while reducing costs for KishHealth's Agfa PACS medical imaging data.
KishHealth also transferred its VMware View Client Virtualization software to the HP 3PAR StoreServ Storage system to better manage its client environment. This provides improved desktop computer performance and enhanced data centre control along with security of both the EMR and PACs data with significantly reduced wait times for employees, doctors and patients.
"Health care institutions seeking to improve patient care can't risk application performance decline and work flow disruptions with legacy data centres incapable of meeting digital medical record system capacity requirements", stated Chris Riley, vice president, U.S., Storage, HP. "In addition to scalability to accommodate future digital record growth, HP Converged Storage delivers around-the-clock availability and increased application performance, enabling KishHealth to improve the quality as well as responsiveness of patient care."