Raritan Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) solution at Gartner Conference
5 Dec 2011 Las Vegas -
Raritan is showing at the Gartner Conference its comprehensive solution for managing data centre infrastructures, and how the solution helps data centre professionals tackle key issues related to energy efficiency, resources and uptime performance. Raritan's Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) solution focuses on managing Assets, Capacity, Change, Power, Environment and Energy.
"We believe that smart racks are the best way to get accurate, real-time information on infrastructure performance, so that customers can develop more efficient ways to manage their data centres and reduce costs", stated Herman Chan, Director at Raritan. "Through our smart PDUs, environmental sensors, and Smart Asset Sensors and Tags for tracking IT equipment, we have instrumented the data centre rack to tell us what is happening in and around IT equipment."
"The smart rack can tell you how much energy each server is consuming, if a server is moved, if there's enough capacity to add a new server to the rack, and if the environment is at the target temperature", stated Herman Chan. "Raritan's DCIM software solution pulls together and analyzes the intelligence gathered by Smart Racks. As a result, customers gain a more accurate and clearer picture of their infrastructure - across all data center racks globally - in order to manage smarter."
Based on open standards and communications protocols, key information is shared among the Raritan solutions. Server adds, moves, and changes that are tracked by Raritan's new Smart Asset Sensor solution, for example, are shared with the Raritan DCIM database, as well as other databases.
On exhibit in the Raritan Booth are:
- DCIM software solution: dcTrack 2.5 DCIM software provides real-time information about facilities, networks and IT in order to more efficiently place IT equipment, manage capacity and track assets. Intelligent capacity search extends the life of existing facilities by revealing valuable stranded power, space and network capacity. Unlike spreadsheets and Visio diagrams, dcTrack's advanced visualization capability and point-and-click operation provide users with accurate information on assets, complete power chain and end-to-end network connections when they need it. This can save considerable time and money that is spent on capacity management and audits.
- Power IQ 3.1 Energy Management software measures and manages energy usage down to the outlet level, providing you with greater control of energy consumption. Enterprise-wide data collection at the device level enables Power IQ's analytics to calculate and chart active power, energy consumption, cost, and carbon footprint for servers and other IT devices. Power IQ's configurable dashboard provides a vendor-agnostic centralized view of power and environmental health, energy capacity and consumption.
- Smart Rack DCIM solution: To provide a complete and accurate picture of IT resources in a rack and their health, Raritan's intelligent rack PDUs (power strips), environmental sensors, and smart asset tracking sensors and tags have built-in intelligence to measure, monitor and track activities.
- Smart Asset Management Tag and Sensor Solution: The first-of-its-kind solution tells operators exactly where a server is located in the data centre (down to the 1U level), and every move and change - using ID chips and scannable ID barcodes. If a server is moved to a new location in the same rack or to a different rack, its new location is automatically recognized when the server's Smart Tag (the size of a small mailing label) is connected to the Smart sensor at the new location. The solution also provides visual guidance to help installers find the correct space in a rack by looking for colour-coded indication lights among rows of racks. It provides accurate inventory records on where servers are located in racks reducing the efforts around inventory audits, while maintaining an accurate DCIM database to support reliable data centre operations.
- PX intelligent rack PDUs: industry's largest portfolio of intelligent rack power distribution units (iPDUs) that make server racks a lot smarter. Its built-in intelligence provides real-time monitoring of data centre energy and loads, as well as environmental conditions when using optional plug-in sensors. Raritan's intelligent rack PDU portfolio - ranging from the PX-1000 to the PX-5000 Series - includes single-phase, three-phase, high power (400V), outlet-metered, outlet-metered and outlet-switched, and metered rack PDUs, as well as inline power meters, to meet the needs of diverse IT environments.
- Environmental Sensors: Raritan offers a wide range of sensors to monitor and collect information on the environment around the rack. Sensors include temperature, humidity, airflow, air pressure, smoke, water, and contact closure.
- EMX Smart Rack Controller provides, in one place, key information on data centre operations collected from Raritan's environmental sensors, cameras, and from Raritan's Smart Asset Management Tag and Sensor solution. At a glance, operators can see if their data centre is working at optimal temperature, monitor humidity and airflow in racks, locate a server's exact location, and see live views of the data center. They can detect when a cabinet door is opened, see who has entered the data center, and be alerted if there is a problem - such as smoke or a security breach.