InfiniBand leads TOP500 as most used interconnect technology for high-performance computing
23 Jun 2014 Leipzig -
InfiniBand is the most deployed interconnect solution on the TOP500 list of supercomputers. The number of InfiniBand-based supercomputers increased 8.3 percent year-over-year to 222, representing 44.4 percent of the TOP500. Mellanox InfiniBand is the only Petascale-proven, standard interconnect solution, connecting 24 out of the 48 Petaflop capable systems on the list. Overall, the number of Mellanox FDR InfiniBand connected systems grew 1.9x from June 2013 to June 2014, connecting 127 systems, showing the increased demand for higher performance, scalability and efficiency.
Mellanox Connect-IB and ConnectX-3 FDR 56Gb/s InfiniBand adapters and SwitchX-2-based switch systems optimize server and storage performance and provide the scalable, low-latency, and power-efficient interconnect for the world's fastest supercomputers. The advanced offloads and accelerations within Mellanox FDR 56Gb/s InfiniBand solutions enable the most performance-efficient systems on the TOP500 list with a record 99.8 percent system efficiency.
We live in a world of data and moving data faster is essential for using data", stated Eyal Waldman, president and CEO of Mellanox Technologies. "Our leading FDR 56Gb/s InfiniBand solutions deliver the highest system utilization as well as accelerate the fastest InfiniBand systems on the new June 2014 TOP500 list. We look forward to further enable the most efficient compute and storage platforms for high-performance, cloud, Web 2.0, database, Big Data and storage applications."
Highlights of InfiniBand usage on the June 2014 TOP500 list include:
- FDR InfiniBand is the fastest growing interconnect technology on the TOP500 with 127 systems, a 1.9x increase in the number of systems versus the June 2013 TOP500 list.
- InfiniBand connects 50 percent of the world's most powerful Petaflop systems on the list.
- Mellanox FDR InfiniBand provides the highest system utilization on the TOP500, achieving 99.8 percent system utilization.
- InfiniBand enables 24 out of the 25 most efficient systems, and the top 17 most efficient systems.
- InfiniBand accelerates 222 systems in the TOP500, 44.4 percent of the list.
- InfiniBand is the most used interconnect in the TOP100 with 52 percent, in the TOP200 with 52 percent, in the TOP300 with 51 percent and in the TOP400 systems with 46.5 percent.
- InfiniBand systems account for 2.2x the performance of Ethernet systems.
- InfiniBand connects 3.5x the number of Cray based systems in the TOP100, 6.7x in TOP500.
- Clusters continue to be the dominant system architecture with 85 percent of the TOP500 list.
- Mellanox end-to-end InfiniBand scalable HPC solutions accelerate 81 percent of the accelerator-based systems.
- Mellanox InfiniBand interconnect solutions present in the TOP500 are used by a diverse list of applications from large-scale, high-performance computing to commercial, technical computing, Cloud computing, Web 2.0, and enterprise data centres.